Saturday, December 22, 2007

An unhappy New Year's Eve

Last New Years eve I decided it would be a great idea to beta test the first disk of Rewind 2006 on my unsuspecting friends. It was the first game built using our Software Development Kit (SDK) that was in development, so much of the programming from previous Rewind builds was different and we wanted to test it to see if our new streamlined code could handle real world game play.

The short answer was, it could.

The long answer was, for me it was the worst New Years Eve EVER!

I popped in the game, asking my willing guinea pigs to play a few rounds, and to really put it through its paces. There was about 30 or so people there, so they all ganged up in teams and away they went with me watching in the background looking for any bugs.

There were a few entry screen issues and some overlay misalignments, but beyond that, functionally it worked perfectly. After only one round I had seen enough and thanked everyone and suggested something lame like, “lets get this party started!”

Except no one got up.

They kept playing. And playing. And playing.

And playing.

Now, I’m not adverse to game playing at any time, as it is my occupation, however I wrote Rewind 2006 and it wasn’t exactly like I could participate knowing all the answers as I did.

So I sat at the back. Alone. For hours.

Happy Frikin’ New Year!

Now, the reason I’m relating this is two fold: First, if you are looking for a GREAT New Years Eve game for groups large or for small, the Game Wave is kinda perfect.

And the second is for my friends. Don’t even think about it, okay?

Have a Happy New Year Everyone, and here’s looking forward to a fabulous 2008!

Cheers - Gavin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, last year I saw this advertised at Christmas time and told my wife, get me one or I will go get one later on anyway. Well, she got me one and we took it to a Family New Years Eve party, it was a hit, so much so that we now have all the games, 6 remotes, and have gotten 2 more game waves (1 for backup, just in case, and 1 to leave at a family members house so we can quit lugging ours back and forth.)

Anonymous said...

Too bad for you Gavin, maybe you'll have learned a lesson for this year. I'm in a similar boat as 5 or 6 of my friends all have systems. It's almost as fun watching the "newcomers" in the mix have a go at the platform anyway. Either way, it does tend to "liven up" the night. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I'd have scream withdrawal if it were quiet around here!

All Stop Communications said...

OMG. I am so hooked. thanks for the game. I have to purchase all the games and the additional remotes for my children and Hubby. We are going to buy more systems and give them away as gifts. Thanks for coming up with such a cool game. My 9 year old is inspired to do the same as a programmer.

Richard said...

Is the SDK available?